President Muhammadu Buhari’s spokesman, Mr. Femi Adesina, has opened up on reasons why members of the ruling party, All Progressives Congress (APC) and appointees of his boss have not been tried for alleged corruption.
Adesina said this on a radio programme, The Podium, in Abeokuta, Ogun State, at the weekend. He also explained that the October 7-8 raid by the Department of State Services (DSS) on the residences of some judges was not a declaration of war on the Judiciary.
He, however, insisted the raids were efforts to rid the country of corruption.
Adesina also explained that APC members and appointees were not being prosecuted for corruption because of “lack of evidence” and added that anybody indicted of corruption “will face prosecution, irrespective of his or her political party.”
The presidential spokesman further pointed out that the fact that a member of opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) crosses over to APC does not provide automatic shield and maintained that, “whoever is indicted will be prosecuted.”
Adesina also decried propaganda of ban on rice importation.
“Ban on rice importation via land borders was placed so as to curtail smuggling and ensure revenue generation from rice importation. Importation of rice via our sea borders remains legal.”
Adesina noted that the Buhari-led Federal Government is serious about diversification of the economy.
“We have got to the point in which we have to diversify or die.
“Government has disbursed money so as to heavily invest in agriculture and mining.”
On the raid on some judges by the DSS, the Special Adviser remarked that “it was only a raid on corruption and not the Judiciary.
“Mr. President has said it all. No one is out to intimidate the Judiciary. The DSS raid was a raid on corruption and not the Judiciary,” he insisted.
A day earlier, the president promised that his administration will rescue all persons abducted by Boko Haram.
Buhari said this against the backdrop of the release of Maryam Ali Maiyanga, one of the abducted Chibok girls on April 14, 2014, by Boko Haram.
Maryam was rescued with her 10-month-old son and released to Borno State Government, after they were rescued in Pulka, Gwoza Local Government Area. In series of tweets, at the weekend, Buhari praised efforts of the Nigerian Army in rescuing Maryam, one of the 219 girls abcuted two years ago.
On his Twitter handle, president Buhari commended the troops for their “gallant efforts to secure the people and territory of Nigeria” and described them as the nation’s heroes.
“I commend our troops who continue to work gallantly to secure the people and territory of Nigeria. You are our heroes.
“No man, woman, or child will be left at the mercy of Boko Haram. This has always been our promise and we fully intend to keep it,’’ he said.
Major General and Commander of the 7 Division of army in Maiduguri, Lucky Irabor announced Maryam’s release in Maiduguri, at the weekend.
The Federal Government had, last month, negotiated the release of 21 other girls while another, Amina, escaped from insurgents’ captivity with her baby, earlier.
Unlike Maryam, Amina escaped from Boko Haram with her husband, Mohammed.