Fresh evidence as panel uncovers N2.17 billion fraud in Defense Ministry

Next Story

Court declines making order on frozen $15.5m linked to Patience Jonathan

The presidential committee investigating arms purchase to prosecute the counter-insurgency war in the North-East has uncovered a N2.175 billion fraud in one of the agencies of the Ministry of Defense even as it was given November 30 as deadline to submit its report.

Man-docked-for-fraud-in-Ogun

The money, meant for arms procurement, was allegedly diverted by some individuals.

Members of the committee believed the short deadline may have been engineered by powerful forces who were indicted in the alleged fraud. The committee which was set up last year, had submitted three reports. Implementation of the report had led to the prosecution of the former Chief of Defence Staff, Lt. Gen. Alex Badeh (retd).

Similarly, some other top officers are currently being detained for their roles in the illegal diversion of funds meant for military operations.

In its third report submitted in July this year, the committee made up of very senior retired and serving military officers, and headed by Air Vice Marshal J.O.N. Ode, indicted former Chiefs of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika (retd) and Kenneth Minimah (retd), top military officers and civilians.

READ Archive:   (Graphic Photo) Girl Beheaded, Hand And Pr!vate Parts Cut Off In Ife, Osun State

Sources told Newsmen that the committee during its investigation on the Ministry of Defence had uncovered a whopping N2.175 billion fraud traced to one of the agencies under the ministry for a specific project.

However, rather than embark on the said project, the money was diverted. The committee discovered that the money meant for the project was paid in instalments to some corporate bodies and Bureaux De Change.

It was authoritatively gathered that the said money was part of the N35 billion the ministry took as loan from the Debt Management Office (DMO) to purchase equipment for troops on international peace-keeping mission with the aim of getting reimbursements from the United Nations.

The committee since its inauguration on August 31, 2015, is said to have so far submitted four interim reports to the Presidency.

Reports gathered that some past defence ministers, permanent secretaries and directors of finance in the ministry have been indicted in the said missing money and recommended for probe and further investigation by the relevant government agencies to get to the root of the matter.

Trouble was said to have started for the committee when a member of the House of Representatives accused the Committee on Audit of Defence Equipment Procurement in the Nigerian Armed Forces (CADEP) of deliberately delaying the report of its committee after over one year of its inauguration.

READ Archive:   Anti-corruption crusade makes Buhari popular among the international community – Envoy

The committee was accused of being biased and indicted those perceived to be enemies of the present administration as culprits in the illegal purchase of arms and ammunition for the military.

On its investigation on the Nigerian Navy which Reports gathered is ongoing, the committee has already sent out investigations to some past Chiefs of Naval Staff, Chiefs of Budgets and Accounts, Chiefs of Training and Operations, Chiefs of Policy and Plans, Directors of Procurement to appear before it.

Although Reports could not ascertain if the committee would be able to conclude its investigation before the November 30 deadline, sources say it will be unfair for the other services where the committee spent months conducting their investigations and openly disgraced them.

READ Archive:   Lawyer sues Buhari over Certificate in Abuja

To do a through job, it was gathered that the committee needs between two and three months.

Aready, some serving and retired military personnel are   accusing the committee members of being biased in their investigation and doing the bidding of government.

The committee probing arms procurement for the Navy began sittings last week. But there was anxiety that the committee may not do a thorough job as was done for the Army, Air Force and the Defence Ministry.

Aside the deadline, the committee has also been barred from requesting for documents and other materials from the agencies under probe.

The deadline will definitely hamper CADEP from effectively carrying out its work, because it has always depended on the documents provided by the organisations, ministries, parastatals and agencies under probe.

There are indications that all may not be well between the committee and the Federal Government after it submitted its fourth interim report indicting persons perceived to be untouchable, about four weeks ago.

One thought on “Fresh evidence as panel uncovers N2.17 billion fraud in Defense Ministry

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *