At least four persons reportedly lost their lives on Tuesday, in Ibara Housing Estate area of Abeokuta, Ogun State capital after consuming excessive local liquor, popularly known as “ogogoro” .
It was gathered that the seller of the deadly substance, one Salako Taloju, a gateman who operates a kiosk in front of the house of a prominent man in the area, Alhaji Sule Onabiyi, has since been picked by the police.
The seller of the liquor, however, said only three people died […]
Recently, the Director-General of the National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Paul Orhii, announced the ban on the sale of local gin popularly called ‘ogogoro,’ across the country.
He precisely made the announcement on Monday, June 8, 2015, stating that not less than 38 persons were feared dead from the consumption of contaminated local gin in Ode Irele, Ondo State and Rivers State few months ago.
Dr. Orhii added that the essence of the regulation is to protect […]
It was gathered that the Federal Government on Monday said it would immediately commence a nationwide confiscation and destruction of unregistered locally produced gin (Ogogoro), bitters and other illegally brewed alcoholic beverages.
This was conveyed at a joint news conference organised by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) and the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in Abuja.
The Director-General of NAFDAC, Dr Paul Orhii, who anchored the event, said government’s decision was aimed at containing the […]
It was revealed that security operatives from Ondo State Police Command are working round the clock to unravel the mysterious death of three persons after consuming a local gin, popularly known as ogogoro at Oka Motor Park in Ondo town, Ondo State.
This is coming as the state government said last week that it had curtailed the outbreak of a strange disease which caused the death of 23 persons at Irele area of the state.
The government said the 23 who died […]
Report gathered that one of the survivors of the Ode-Irele methanol poisoning, Mr. Olorunwa Jero, yesterday, recounted his ordeal in the throes of death. Jero, a father of six, who is a vulcaniser, narrated: “By the time I was brought here, I had gone blind. I could not identify my wife, I could not identify anything. I did not even know when I arrived here. “But I thank God and the management and staff of University College Hospital, UCH, for […]